Skip to content ↓

Academic Programme

What will I be studying? 

All UWCs offer the same two-year pre-university programme. Teaching is conducted in English under the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma programme for students aged 16-19. Read more about the UWC curriculum here.

Can I attend UWC for only one year? 

No, the UWC only offers a two-year programme, and you must be present for both years in order to complete it.

Will I be able to go home on vacation? 

Yes, most of the students go home for the summer holidays and also during the winter break. If a student is unable to go home, the school will assist them in making arrangements so that they can stay at school or with a host family during the winter break. This can be arranged at the college once you have been accepted.

Where am I going to live during my studies at UWC? 

All UWCs are boarding schools, so students not only study on Campus but also live there. Read more about different colleges here.

In every college there are students from 50-90 different countries. A UWC education emphasises experiential learning. The classroom is only one component of that experience, which extends to life together in a residential setting. By sharing dining rooms, common rooms and bedrooms with students from many different cultures and countries, UWC students have opportunities to learn about and share in an international experience that makes a profound and lifelong change in their understanding of one another. Teachers also live on campus, which means boarders always have access to support and care 24 hours a day.

Is the IB diploma accepted in CIS countries? 

The IB Diploma is accepted and recognized in most countries, but candidates intent on studying in a particular country must make their own enquiries before applying for or accepting a place at UWC. The colleges do not take responsibility for recognition or lack thereof of the IB Diploma in any particular country. More information is available on the website and on individual university websites.

Do Russian universities accept the IB diploma? 

Not all universities in Russia accept and recognize the IB Diploma. Candidates who intend to study in a particular university must make their own enquiries to find out whether that university accepts IB Diploma or not. More information is available at and on the universities’ websites.

Some of the Russian students who were admitted to UWC after the 10th grade complete the programme of external studies at a Russian school concurrently with the IB Diploma Programme. If the final exams are successfully passed (both for external studies and at the UWC), such students receive two academic certificates – the IB Diploma and the Russian High School Diploma. However, we would like to point out that such scenario is a double burden on the student and can significantly affect the final exam results, so the decision on it should only be taken after weighing all the pros and cons.

If I am accepted, what is the visa process? How can I apply? 

Once you are accepted, you will be contacted by the UWC school and they will assist you throughout the visa procedure. Please note that responsibility for visa application process and provision of all necessary documents rests with the candidate’s family; the UWC Russia unfortunately cannot help with applying for a visa.